Well, I can't help much but here goes. I don't have any results from Narromine 1978, and I have points results but no speeds from Waikerie 81.

Average winners speeds were:

Year Place Open 15M Std
77        Renmark           112.9 (.94)       106.6  (.97)         103.5
79        Cunderdin           97.1  (.99)        96.6  (.91)           87.8
80        Benalla               114.4 (.97)     110.8   (.93)         102.5

Overall 108.1 (.97) 104.7 (.94) 97.9

The figures in brackets are the percentage speed differences between the classes (Open-15m and 15m-Std).

I only used winners speeds (I'm not that much of a masochist and anyway winners speed is all that is often available) but I have researched before and found a good deal of consistency in the spread of speeds, so it is probably still a fair comparison.

In all those contests Open and 15 metre flew the same task - though of course the start gate opening would have been different. Nimbus 2's won every contest in Open Class, 15M were shared (Pik 20, Mini-Nimbus and ASW20) and in Standard Class Hornet, Cirrus and Jantar shared the honours.

Differences seem larger when speeds are higher, in favour of Open Class - which would question the "lead-sled" theory - and the difference between Open and 15 Metre is generally less than between 15 metre and standard.

I found only a couple of individual days when a 15 metre winning speed was higher than an Open class winning speed, and when that happened it was by a whisker. You were definitely better off with long wings, and probably still are.

Cheers

 /Tim/

/tra dire e fare c'รจ mezzo il mare/