Hi Mike,

Thanks for the erudite explanation of drag, Reynolds numbers etc.  I can only
write as a pilot fairly ignorant of what factors influence a gliders
performance but the following may be pertinent.

Glider manufacturers optimise design, particularly wing design, to be at
greatest efficiency over a quite small speed range. Better to be highly
efficient over a small speed range than less efficient over a large speed
range. Manufacturers used to look at peak efficiency over 50 to 80 knots dry
but I suspect modern aerofoils may compress this range even more and maybe look
at optimisation towards the higher end of the speed range.

Manufacturers tend to be coy about actual polar curves but the original Discus
published polar curve was more honest than most. It showed a distinct break and
deterioration in performance at about 80 knots dry.. I assumed this was the
point where the reduction in angle of attack reached a point where the airflow
over the nearly flat lower side of the wing resulted in a break up of the
laminar airflow. This reduction in performance was so severe that it was a
waste of time climbing in a strong thermal once you could final glide at 80
knots dry and proportionally more if ballasted. The gliders performance
degraded so much that it was waste of time.climbing higher. even if a very
strong thermal. once the correct  final glide speed could be flown.

Drag on the fuselage must be related to the angle of the fuselage to the
airflow. It could well be that some fuselages are less affected than others.
Schleicher fuselages tend to be quite slim past the cockpit. Perhaps drag
varies not only with speed but also with fuselage design with some fuselages
less affected by changes of angles of attack to the incoming airflow.

Easy to see why glider designers have such a hard time designing the optimum
performance glider. Get it wrong and couple of millions worth of Euros would be
wasted and maybe the company goes broke.

Harry Medlicott