Harry,

The problem with gliders is that the wing profile drag must be low over a very wide range of angles of attack (same as lift coefficient). It has been known for over 60 years how to build a very low drag laminar airfoil at low angles of attack but the trick has been to get one of these that also produces very high maximum lift coefficients while preserving low profile drag coefficients. Apart from jet fighters, powered aircraft are normally designed to fly efficiently over a very narrow range of lift coefficients. While most of the problem while circling is induced drag which is a function of span loading and lift distribution, profile drag is still important and more so as the speed increases as angle of attack decreases. NACA 6 series airfoils were used on gliders for quite a while (K6, Blanik, Foka etc) until Wortmann worked on the problem and improved the low speed performance of similar airfoils. Camber changing flaps help. The reason we don't see slotted flaps much on gliders is because the profile drag is greatly increased by slots. There have been some experiments in that direction though.

You are right about the Discus 1 which is why I was told in New Zealand that at 110 knots on the ridge the Std Cirrus is better than the D1. All the modern unflapped gliders have a "knee" in the polar to some extent, when the lower wing surface goes turbulent.

Yes the fuselage drag coefficient will likely change with AoA. That is one of the nice things about flaps though. If you are in the correct flap setting the main part of the wing (and hence the fuselage) meets the air at about the same angle. Typically for modern gliders at 100 KIAS the AoA is around 3 degrees at 71 knots it is 6 degrees and at 140 knots about 1.5 degrees so at the higher speeds it doesn't take much change anyway over most of the usual cruising range. In this case it is best to design so the fuselage lines up with the airflow in the cruising range as profile drag is less important at the lower speeds where induced drag dominates.

Yes it is hard designing for optimum performance as the "optimum" changes with the anticipated thermal strength. There are experimental manufacturer's prototypes that don't see the light of day for long. Wanna bet against a V2 with a different wing either flying or about to?

Or one with an interesting glove over the outer wing?

I ran across the design rationale for the LS6 the other day. Pretty conservative but thin airfoil with no turbulators, blowholes etc that worked very well in the real world with non critical flap settings. So non critical it became the LS8 with the LS6 flaps set in a small negative

setting and still competitive against the D2 with a late design advanced airfoil. This must be some what depressing for glider designers.

Mike