From: ausdotnet-boun...@lists.codify.com
[mailto:ausdotnet-boun...@lists.codify.com] On Behalf Of Tony Wright
Sent: Tuesday, 23 February 2010 9:29 PM
To: 'ausDotNet'
Subject: RE: [OT] Bill gates on our energy futures - some tech miracles needed

My understanding is that the base load problem has been solved, it’s just that
there’s no political will to accept it. That is, there is too much vested
interest in the alternatives and a lot of money spent by some very powerful
groups to promote the status quo, as that’s where they make their money.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/thinktanks-take-oil-money-and-use-it-to-fund-climate-deniers-1891747.html

“There are plants in Spain operating with energy storage right now, providing
electricity all night long”
http://www.beyondzeroemissions.org/

And you don’t need to go nuclear. Nuclear as it currently stands is just a
disgraceful option. The radioactive waste in current nuclear reactors with
current technology takes 10,000 years to break down. 10,000 years ago, mankind
was living in caves. Nuclear is obviously the politically easy option. And it
would take at least a decade to fire up a nuclear reactor anyway. By that time
there would be monumental advances in cleaner technologies. And as for
“managing” nuclear – name me a politician that you believe can manage that
portfolio and I’ll name ten more that I wouldn’t trust if my life depended on
it. Oh wait, it does.

T.