On Tuesday, 17. June 2008, fess wrote:
> I have a site that has been running AxKit 1.6.2 for some years now.
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1.  Is there any documentation about the difference between the Axkit
> 1 and AxKit2?  Any how to upgrade, why to upgrade documents?

AxKit1 and 2 differ greatly. If you were using custom providers, caching or
other AxKit-specific code, then it would mean a major refactoring. If all you
do is XSP, XSLT and XPathScript, it should be quite painless, but still some
work.

> Would upgrading to 1.7 solve this problem? [ didn't appear so from
> the changelog but I will probably try it anyhow, got stuck on
> something else last time I tried.]
> should I be upgrading to AxKit 2?

I won't address your AxKit1 issue, as I never used axkit:// uris, and it has
been quite a while anyways. An upgrade to AxKit2 probably won't be painless,
as AxKit2 doesn't have axkit:// uris, or, for that matter, caching by
default.

This is actually a good thing: AxKit2 is designed to make writing plugins
extremely easy, and that way you have full control over what gets cached and
when and how. Much cleaner than messing with axkit uris.

So, if you can spare some hours to learn AxKit2, go ahead, it's really nice to
work with. If you need 2 hours upgrade, and everything is like before, then
don't do it.

--
CU
  Jörg