Thanks a lot, Dave.  I've cherry picked the changes that are obviously
correct.

> I am not particularly huge on posting and reviewing patches in-line
> on mailing lists, but I can repost this pull request here, if desired.

Dave, github pull requests are the worst user interface I can imagine.  In
order to cherry-pick your changes, I need to add a temporary remote, pull
a branch, cherry-pick, then delete the branch.  It's absolutely idiotic,
cretinous, and moronic.

Please do some squashing (no need to have half a dozen commits to improve
the makefile), then rebase, then resubmit the remaining patches through
the ML so we can have an adult discussion.

-- Juliusz