> In part I broke up the makefile changes because I figured you wouldn't
> like the compile guards
> and whole program stuff, but I found that really helpful later on in the
> rabeld effort, while optimizing and trying to understand how things
> worked.

You're right, don't overdo the squashing.

> the dependency fixes to the makefile were helpful in general but do you
> want the exactitude I put in for all the whatever.o include,include,
> include, or can you live with me merely slamming $(INCLUDES) as
> a dependency?

I'm afraid the Makefile changes won't get in, since they will make my job
harder, but I don't have time to explain now.  (A bunch of students are
about to arrive in order to renegotiate their grades.  Teaching is 20% of
incredible fun, and 80% of utter boredom.  Just like every fun job,
I guess.)

-- Juliusz