________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of James Cridland
Sent: 25 January 2007 16:55
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] Music, (meta)data, musicbrainz and the BBC

Michael,

Ignoring for a while the question of why the BBC is now looking at
putting third-party music information services out of business, and
being constructive:

The major problem we've found working with any third-party music data is
the issue of non-standard descriptions. Take a well-known song, which is
in our system as... "The Beatles: Norwegian Wood (This bird has flown)",
aka "Beatles, The: Norwegian Wood", for example. Life gets harder with
R.E.M.'s "End of the world as we know it (and I feel fine)", since
R.E.M. is also known as REM and R. E. M. and... ooh, it's horrid. This
needs fixing.

Secondly, working with third-party systems is a little difficult for
cleared-for-broadcast stuff. Oasis's "Fsucking in the bushes" won't look
great on scrolling DLS, however we do it - and automated swear filters
don't work cleverly enough. (I've added an extra letter in there for
work-safe email).

The way we've ended up working with these types of services is to have
to pre-moderate everything before importing, which is a nuisance but the
only way. Easy for us, given the comparatively small amount of music we
play; harder for the Beeb, I'd guess.

If it helps (which I doubt it will), if you go to
http://nowplaying.virginradio.co.uk/vr.js - do it in Firefox so you can
see it on-screen - you'll see the following information within a
JavaScript line:

Artist name ~ artist ID ~ Track name ~ track ID ~ Live on-air studio ~
Presenter name ~ Presenter image reference ~ short description of show
(which makes no sense right now I notice!) ~ Short legacy web action
description ~ Webcam true/false flag ~ DJ show link ~ Official artist
website ~ tickets available true/false ~ 128 character description ~
some number which probably does something

I appreciate this is nothing to do with what you're asking, but I
wondered whether it was interesting to the conversation.

And I'm always up for a pint.

http://james.cridland.net/
http://www.virginradio.co.uk/vip/profile/bigjim/