> >                     But then, both of those methods still leave the
> > question -
> >                     how do you pay for the unpopular, but worthy,
> >programming?
> >             PPV - you split the programme budget between the
expected
> >number of
> >             viewers.  As such, EastEnders being a programme with
many
> > viewers, would
> >             cost less than a documentary on BBC Four.

>       Wouldn't that drive an already small audience down even further?

Depends on the programme.  I suspect a lot of BBC Four viewers for
example, would pay quite a lot for programmes on that channel.

> If
> you're going to make already unpopular programming even less popular,
> why bother even trying to make it in the first place? And if you're
only
> going to make popular programming, then why would you need a public
> broadcaster to do it?

Ah well, there-in the problem.  Lots of people would be very happy for
the BBC to become subscription.  Which begs the question - what's the
point in a public broadcaster that doesn't provide a service to all.
IMHO any subscription/PPV system would essentially destroy why BBC TV
exists, and lines it up for privatisation.  After all, why should the
public own such a thing (this could be why Channel 4 decided to make all
their digital channels free instead of subscription based)

I didn't say PPV was a good idea - just that's one way of looking at it
:)