I read on the a BBC News Technology article that the iPlayer was going to be
reengineered to be Mac-compatible, which is something both I AND my
Mac-loving housemate are VERY keen to see in action!

I also watch stuff on my 17" LCD PC screen, which runs natively at 720p
(1280x720) and I can really see the difference... I'm watching some Stargate
SG-1 encodes as I write this up, the video bitrate is ~1mbps and I can still
see the artefacts. I'm used to good quality analogue TV (which today STILL
outperforms DTT imo!) and DSAT-level bitrates for TV, and I can only
tolerate Internet-level bitrates for a while before they start to wind me
up. My Dad is the same as me, but I also note that my 15-year-old sister
watches LOADS of YouTube and MySpace videos, and she has a big 16:9 monitor
on her computer (I want one like it!)

Do you think it's a generation gap thing? Or, like that recent article I
read on DigitalSpy about the results of the DAB quality survey, people who
don't vocalise their concern about lowering quality just don't fully
understand what a good quality stream should look / sound like? Admittedly
this is maybe bordering on digital snobbery ("What? Sub-4mbps bitrates in
this video file? OUTRAGEOUS! JEEVES - GET THE BBC TRUST ON THE LINE
IMMEDIATELY" etc...) but I do believe that a lot of people maybe can
subconsciously detect that a stream or broadcast isn't great quality, but as
they have no obvious benchmark to go against, or have no real grasp of the
potential quality that can be achieved using even the present incumbent
formats, they don't voice their concern or complaint about it?

Thinking out loud here...