On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 01:09:24 +0100, James Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Fixed Length Trial? Public Value Test? (one has to love the steps to
> get something done. bravo for trying).

There's been a fair bit of BBC bashing on this list in the past, so thank you
for recognising that we do care and we are trying ;-)

> Sure it makes sense - i'm not being overly grumpy, just assuming that
> most of the archive will have had to have been transcoded into
> something to enable reasonable online delivery; I presume it's stored
> in a petabyte archive store someplace, in some kind of raw or semi-
> raw format natively - thus encoding it --- getting it to real / wm is
> great- you have that, but adding in a divx/mpg transcoder so that a
> level of quality is preserved would be great.
>
> Why do i care? because whilst streaming is great for live events,
> imho... it's not really fantastic for enjoying the backlist.

I would love the content in different formats too. As Tom said in another
reply, Flash would be great as an option, as would higher quality download only
versions. I know the Archive team are thinking about this stuff, but I don't
know any details.

> I hope that if this gets past the various layers of governance and
> gets budget to become a 'real' project, some effort into hooking up
> into bittorrent (I'm sure Bram could come up with some trickery to
> have certified users (ie, license fee payers ;)) only which would
> permit some kind of higher bandwidth product.

I would guess it's more likely that the Archive will become more closely linked
to iPlayer as time goes on, but that would provide the same advantages.

Cheers
Jonathan