________________________________

        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of vijay chopra
        Sent: 01 November 2007 16:52
        To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
        Subject: [backstage] Ashley Highfield speaks again

        Just read this
<http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/internet-and-broadband/news/bbc-not-in-
bed-with-bill-gates-over-iplayer?articleid=36522951>   interview with Mr
Highfield
        "Highfield used the numbers of non-Windows users visiting
bbc.co.uk as justification for the corporation's XP-only release. "We
have 17.1 million users of bbc.co.uk in the UK and, as far as our server
logs can make out, 5 per cent of those [use Macs] and around 400 to 600
are Linux users.""
        (via slashdot
<http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/01/133259> )

        Have tech.co.uk missed out a zero as I can't believe that the
number of Linux users is that low, I'd expect more people to visit the
site on their mobile phones than that.
        Unless perhaps most do as I do and go straight to news.bbc.co.uk
and bypass bbc.co.uk entirely (in which case using those numbers as
justification for ignoring iPlayer on Linux is bizarre; perhaps some
more research into your audience is in order?).

        Though it feels good to be a member of such an exclusive club,
can we have the number of Linux users visiting news.bbc.co.uk please?
That way we can see if Mr Highfield's claims stand up to scrutiny.

        Vijay.