Michael Stowe wrote at about 23:09:55 +0000 on Tuesday, June 30, 2020:
 > On 2020-06-29 21:51, backu...@kosowsky.org wrote:
 > > Over the years, many have asked and struggled with backing up remote
 > > Windows shares with shadow copies. Shadow copies are useful since they
 > > allow both the backup to be 'consistent' and allow for reading files
 > > that are otherwise 'busy' and unreadable when part of active Windows
 > > partitions.
 > >
 > > Various solutions (including one I proposed almost a decade ago) use
 > > additional scripts and hacks to create the shadow copy.
 > > Such solutions are kludgy and require the maintenance of separate
 > > scripts either on the server or client.
 > >
 > > I have written a combination of perl and bash code that can be stored
 > > in the host.pl configuration file that does everything you need to
 > > automagically create shadow copies for each share (where possible)
 > > with minimal to no special configuration in host.pl and nothing to
 > > configure on the Windows client (other than having cygwin+ssh+rsync
 > > and an accessible account on your Windows client).
 > >
 > > The only thing you need to do is to set up the hash
 > > Conf{ClientShareName2Path} to map share names to their
 > > (unshadowed) Windows paths. The attached script will then set up and
 > > interpolate the appropriate shadow paths.
 > >
 > > It should just work...
 > > Just cut-and-paste the attachment into your host.pl code for Windows
 > > clients.
 > >
 > > Note: I included a fair amount of debugging & error messages in case
 > > any shadows or links fail to get created or unwound.
 >
 > What ssh do you use?

I just use stock cygwin ssh & rsync.

 > When I updated my server-side scripts to work with ssh as well as the
 > venerable winexe, and was alerted to this:
 > https://u2182357.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=UlfI6r-2FmuicX-2BnC5-2BZ3I6hSUAGKA-2FZ4EXu0KbZUYtfPMmjaEDrGQFZ-2BTO1Kw4YUsENnB-2BYHtkE8jsm5y9ZKsZw-3D-3D0WeR_ukiVZyKkp5Cjvx76jsH50UUtEtCgMsyWtxVptJl-2FKE9RHuXXjDv46hulGquMiCHqO1cUX7lUb0JGPDBkdKULRgIzBYzygPWOLMnToJEwWlkFgSpuyvyRIoFh6g46IkD4hDv8q0iNShGrbLZ-2FWY-2FJ1bf-2Br0AUhR4II3jmqK8V6zW-2BcNS3HWYTOsSxlK1I13DnsJSLHNRELiUUl7zLG4k9qlz2FMSSKC2P8WJDhyso0MU-3D

I don't use winexe - it's also not particularly secure.

I pipe a server-side bash script onto ssh as part of the Dump Pre/Post
User Commands to setup and takedown the shadows.

Not sure why you would want to use a custom version of rsync when my
pretty simple scripts do all that with a lot more transparency to how
they are setup.

 > Which points to this:
 > https://u2182357.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=UlfI6r-2FmuicX-2BnC5-2BZ3I6ixXxMXwHczMOYAFDcPlTkEXRK7t-2BnyUlyzDQoG5GZdN-2B0DCDb-2Fa6IOvkPW8bMfXFEiMGZijC6vabaR5CPfjOJA-3DAR1c_ukiVZyKkp5Cjvx76jsH50UUtEtCgMsyWtxVptJl-2FKE9RHuXXjDv46hulGquMiCHqEFL1iPvXcZ1RYzdaFNSnxeGPM-2Fl3J4b4K5FvLtwaS73kqtSTQPDxssk7g0TT-2BdnOGQvFBTfIuEx4PzfTiMDRUEgRPM9AXS4gEYEwBmCRXNkWAR5zS58ZQzEUZA2uzhKrR9gkTQZhcItZB2-2Fa897XTKax6LE2qXFlfEyJyh-2FGjhc-3D
 >
 > Fundamentally, it's a customized copy of rsync that automatically
 > handles the VSS side.  At any rate, I haven't finished testing it (have
 > a large project backlog) but thought you (or others here) might be
 > interested.

Can you test out my script?
I believe it's far simpler and cleaner than either:
- My old approach for WinXP (using a client-side triggered script,
  rsyncd setup, dosdev, 'at' recursion to elevate privileges, etc.)
- Your version requiring win.exe
- Other versions requiring a custom/non-standard rsync

My version only requires a basic cygwin install with rsync/ssh and
basic linux utils plus built-in windows functions.

BTW, I still need to add back in the ability to dump all the acl's
(using subinacl) since rsync only syncs POSIX acls and I believe ntfs
has additional acl's.

In any case, my ultimate holy-grail is to be able to use BackupPC to allow for
a full bare-metal restore by combining:
- Full VSS file backup
- Restore of all ACLs from a subinacl dump
- Anything else I may need to recreate the full NTFS filesystem for
  windows (maybe disk signatures???)