G.W. Haywood via BackupPC-users wrote at about 14:22:50 +0100 on Wednesday,
September 2, 2020:
 > Hi there,
 >
 > On Wed, 2 Sep 2020, Mariano Aliaga wrote:
 > > tar:974  Fatal: Can't translate pathname './Ajuste Inflaci?n A?o2019.xps'
 > > to UTF-8
 > > ... So I wonder if this is a known bug, it's smbclient, backuppc,
 > > tar or what? Is there some known workaround? I'd appreciate any help
 > > you could give.
 >
 > I think it's a message from 'tar'.  (That's because that's what it says. :)
 >
 > It's not what I'd call a bug, it's the unfortunate result of the many
 > changes to the capabilities of both utilties and filesystems over the
 > time that they've been in use.  There can be ambiguities when strings
 > are translated between some character sets, and you really don't want
 > that kind of ambiguity in file names.
 >
 > What's your output from 'locale'?
 >
 > Just a stab in the dark but you might try UTF-16, as mentioned here:
 >
 > https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/tar-cant-translate-pathname.32262/
 >
 > Life was so simple when everything was done with 7-bit ASCII codes...
 >
 > --
 >
 > 73,
 > Ged.

Agree with Ged... I have had similar issues with rsync over time
But two further items:
1. Does the entire tar backup fail or does it just skip the offending
   paths?

2. (This one is for Craig) It would be good if the error summaries
   could better reflect the errors encountered by the transport
   method. In this case, tar has a 'fatal' error,
      tar:974  Fatal: Can't translate pathname './Ajuste Inflación Año
   but the summary line says:
      tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 7 filesExist, 289563505 sizeExist,
      285326858 sizeExistComp, 7 filesTotal, 289563505 sizeTotal, 0
      filesNew, 0 sizeNew, 0 sizeNewComp, 110 inodeLast

   It's never been clear to me which 'errors' get counted and which
   don't...