I have upgraded from 13.x to 15.02 on a CentOS 7 server by changing yum repository and running yum update. After RPMs were upgraded, I ran the scripts to upgrade the MySQL database. When I try to start bacula-sd using systemctl no errors are returned, but the storage daemon is not starting (as seen by running 'ps -ef | grep bacula' ). Running journalctl for bacula-sd does not show that bacula-sd is failing.

The systemctl status for bacula-sd is returning the following:

<SNIP> hostname removed to protect the innocent

● bacula-sd.service - Bacula Storage Daemon service
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bacula-sd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead) since Tue 2024-04-02 08:18:13 MST; 18min ago
Process: 4066 ExecStart=/opt/bacula/bin/bacula-sd -dt -c /opt/bacula/etc/bacula-sd.conf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 19946 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Apr 02 08:18:13 xxx.xxx.xxx systemd[1]: Starting Bacula Storage Daemon service... Apr 02 08:18:13 xxx.xxx.xxx systemd[1]: Started Bacula Storage Daemon service.

</SNIP>

There is nothing in the system logs that would help narrow down the problem. There is also nothing logged in /opt/bacula/log/bacula.log that mentions problems with the storage daemon.

If the storage daemon is instead started manually from the command line (as root user) using the following command the storage daemon starts and does not terminate:

sudo /opt/bacula/bin/bacula-sd -d 200 -c /opt/bacula/etc/bacula-sd.conf

After running the above command and then starting Bacula director I was able to successfully run a job without errors.

When looking at the bacula-sd.service file it appears to be using a similar command (the one listed above in the status output) to start the storage daemon.

I see in the docs that cloud storage appears to be changing but is currently in beta. It sounds like the S3 driver still works. I have not made any changes to the bacula-sd.conf file at this time.

What other things can I look at to troubleshoot why the storage daemon does not stay running when started with the systemctl command?

Thank You.