From: "Arto Wikla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Roman Turovsky wrote:
Part 2:
Andante con Variazioni for Torban and Orchestra.
http://torban.org/audio/torban-dumka.mp3

Beautiful piece, thanks. But a little bit more info wouldn't be bad. If I had to analyze the piece wihout any info I would say it is "ethnic" music, a modern arragement of a folk piece, perhaps made for a movie
Actually not ethnic, if a bit ethocentric, modelled after similar movements Krumpholz harp concerti, or the earliest 7-string guitar variations.
Started out as a solo, of course - http://www.torban.org/images/dumka.pdf

about 19th century peasant love story - very beautiful and well played,
More like Les Liaisons Dangereuses. In the decades before the French Revolution.

but perhaps not the deepest music, very easy to listen. The orchestra sounded a little like a bass balalaika orchestra with some percussion instrument(s)?
Cetainly not. Balalaika orchestras rely on their utterly insufferable tremolo.
Here you have pizzicato strings and harpsichord.
RT