On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:26:46PM -0400, lance raymond wrote:
> ok, from the testing in the past and fustrations reading 10 different posts
> about things, it's easy to start a new thread as a "help / how to"
>
> Running Fedora 8 on a Dell XPS 1330 laptop.   Before I start installing
> barry*
> barry-0.12-1.fc7.src.src
> barry-gui-0.12-1.fc7.i386.rpm
> barry-util-0.12-1.fc7.i386.rpm
> libbarry-0.12-1.fc7.i386.rpm
>
> A first run attempt at installing gives;
> error: Failed dependencies:
> libboost_serialization.so.2 is needed by barry-util-0.12-1.i386
>
> and I do have the following installed;
> rpm -qa |grep boost
> boost-devel-1.34.1-7.fc8

Check /usr/lib for "libboost_serialization*" to make sure that the library
is installed.

        ls /usr/lib/libboost_serial*

If not, it's probably in a separate RPM for your system... I forget offhand
how this is done on Fedora.

I currently only have a build system setup for FC7 packages.  FC8 is on the
todo list.

Note that FC8 likely has a newer version of Boost than FC7.  When it comes
to C++ libraries, the safest way to deal with these kinds of library
issues sometimes is to recompile on your own machine.

You can do this relatively easily yourself, as long as you have all the
dependencies installed, by downloading the Barry .src.rpm from SourceForge,
and building:

        rpm -i barry-0.12-1.fc7.src.rpm
        cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
        rpmbuild -ba barry.spec --with gui --with opensync

The two --with options are optional.

See http://netdirect.ca/software/packages/barry/install.php for a list
of dependencies.

- Chris