On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 12:53:43AM +0200, Reset Reboot wrote:
> Well, I've done what you said and I was astonished when I saw a process
> called 'osplugin' eat up to 834 mb of memory for 134 elements for
> syncing (calendar + contacts), Mi poor laptop has 768 mb for RAM and 1
> Gb for swap, so, yes, that explains the hd trashing.
>
> I only have 62 contacts and mostly the same number on Evolution.
>
> I'm currently running Ubuntu Hardy (32 bits), Opensync 0.22 that came
> with the distro.
>
> Hope this helps :)

Thanks for your testing.  'osplugin' is a part of Opensync, and it is
likely trying to process conflicts... that's my guess anyway.

You could try starting over with your sync config.  In my previous
testing, I've found that sometimes opensync 0.22 gets confused if the
cached sync data is only done part way.  I've found that fresh syncs
usually work quite well.

So, assuming that you're using the command line msynctool,
you might try deleting your current sync config, and recreating it.

If a fresh sync still exhibits this behaviour, then at least we have a
reproducable problem.  Depending how much effort you want to put in to
solve this, you could try syncing in only one direction at a time.
ie. backup the Blackberry, delete its data, and try syncing, and vice versa.
This might narrow things down, so we know which data is causing the
memory usage.  Make sure you backup your Blackberry and your Evolution
data before trying this. :-)

Opensync also supports logging.  If you set the environment variable
OSYNC_TRACE to a directory, opensync will write detailed logs there
during the sync.  If you send me these logs, send them privately, and
compress them, as there may be traces of private data in them.

- Chris