The issue was entirely the syntax of the URL for the catalog file. Once I
used "file:/c:/foo/bar/catalog-dita.xml" then it worked reliably.

The catalog resolver requires a URL and unless I was looking at the wrong
BaseX code there was nothing in there to correct "\" to "/" before passing
the value to the catalog manager.

Cheers,

E.

----