On Mon Apr 11 2011 Nix wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2011, Roland Winkler told this:
> > - Finally, I fixed various bugs and improved the documentation.
>
> I just noticed that BBDB development has restarted. Unfortunately
> BBDB 3.0 has removed a good few features, including one I definitely
> rely on: bbdb-canonicalize-net-hook, which is crucial to keep your
> database clean in the face of the large number of people with
> semiautomatically morphing addresses.

I renamed this to bbdb-canonicalize-mail-function which is more in
line with the naming conventions both of emacs in general and the
new BBDB in particular.

> Is this done in some new way these days? Would you mind if I
> reimplemented it? (The v2.x BBDB's canonicalize-net-hook has just broken
> due to changes in the behaviour of run-hook-with-args in upstream Emacs
> bzr, to wit, that it always now returns nil if called with a hook list
> rather than a hook variable. This behaviour appears to be intentional:
> when you think about it it doesn't make much sense to return the value
> of any one hook function if there is more than one. A fix would be
> trivial, but if BBDB 2.x is dead, it may not be worth doing.)

I have not tested bbdb-canonicalize-mail-function myself. So I do
not know whether it is actually working. As usual bug reports are
welcome. And bug fixes are yet more appreciated!

> (I'll also see if bbdb-expire works with v3.0x and make it work if
> it doesn't.)

I believe this was some kind of add-on for BBDB. So it is probably
broken right now. Again, if you can get it going again you might
make more people happy.

To merge such things into the new repo, it would be best if we can
get not only your copyright assignment but also from the original
author(s) / contributors of bbdb-expire. (See my other email on
copyright.)