On Sun Apr 17 2011 Nix wrote:
> We could do the same job with a new hook which is called only once per
> record, no matter how many times it is spotted by a given call to
> bbdb-update-records, or with a new guarantee that the bbdb-notice-hook
> would only fire once per record per call to bbdb-update-records. But
> in the absence of that, an advisement is the only neat approach.

First I wanted to say that bbdb-notice-hook is really in the wrong
place and that it might be better to move it elsewhere in the code.

Yet the functions in this hook can refer to the particular email
address in a message which actually triggered the noticing of a
record (and maybe we have a message with two email addresses for the
same person, so that the same record is matched twice by one message).
So it seems to me it is useful to keep this hook where and what it is.

Yet it appears also useful beyond your particular problem to have a
hook which is called for each message only once per record. This
could be done in bbdb-update-records, or probably yet better in
bbdb-mua-update-records.

Do you have a good name for such a hook?

> I might as well sign one for all of Emacs: I have a bunch of patches to
> that queued up for when the git repo ever unjams (if it ever does, sigh,
> maybe I'll be forced to use bloody bzr: but last time I tried to branch
> the emacs repo using that awful VCS I gave up after five hours).
>
> If I do an Emacs-wide one, will it apply to BBDB as well? (Sorry for the
> stupid question, but the packages are so tightly related...)

If someone has previously signed copyright assignments for GNU
Emacs, these people need not sign new paperwork. Yet BBDB is not
(yet?) part of GNU Emacs. So these people are asked to just email
fsf-reco...@gnu.org, and tell them that their work on BBDB should be
considered part of their Emacs assignment.

If you have not yet signed any paperwork, it is probably the easiest
if you simply say it is for Emacs and BBDB/Emacs.