On Tue Jul 10 2012 Sam Steingold wrote:
> > * Roland Winkler <jvax...@tah.bet> [2012-07-08 16:36:54 -0500]:
> > 2012-07-08  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
> >     * lisp/bbdb-mua.el (bbdb-update-records): Fix previous patch.
>
> I no longer can create new records.
> when I hit ";" or ":" on an unknown sender,
> no new record is created,
> an empty *BBDB* window is displayed,
> *Messages* says "Formatting BBDB...done."

Is this your current version of BBDB?  This should have had no
effect here.

Some things changed with ChangeLog 2012-07-09.  See my email.
Yet if you have bound bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p according
to your needs, things should be fine.  (After all these patches,
creating new records still works fine for me.)