On Wed Jul 11 2012 Sam Steingold wrote:
> >   (query . create)
>
> thanks, this did it.
>
> however, I would rather just use 'query instead of the cons, I don't see
> much use for the prefix / non-prefix dichotomy.

Well, the cons is used only by those commands that do not use their
prefix arg for anything else. If you do not want to use at all the
prefix arg for switching between something like 'query and 'create,
then leave the cdr as it is and do not worry about it.

> btw, when I have a record for "John Smith <f...@bar.com>" and I see an
> article by "John Smith <q...@bar.com>", bbdb shows John's record but
> does not offer to update the net field unless I try to edit the record
> with ";".  is this intentional?

"Intentional" is not the right word, "long-time eastablished" is
probably more accurate. When you say

  > bbdb shows John's record but does not offer to update the net
  > field

I assume that you are using one of BBDB's auto-update functions
to display automatically the BBDB records for a message, and you
have bbdb-mua-auto-update-p bound to 'search.

I think BBDB always followed the strategy that if you did not allow
the creation of a new record (possibly preceded by a query) then
BBDB would not check either whether there is an existing record that
could be updated.

Here it could make sense to check even after a plain 'search whether
the record it found needs to be updated. Anyway, there are user
variables controlling whether in the end BBDB performs the update of
an existing record. So if someone doesn't like to update existing
records, he or she should inhibit this via the respective switches.

I'll look into this.