When I looked at the code once more, I realized an annoying
inconsistency:

bbdb-mua-edit-field and friends do not use the "default user
variable" bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p used by commands such as
bbdb-mua-display-records. Currently they simply ignore the optional
arg update-p so that the mua-specific fallbacks such as
bbdb/gnus-update-records-p are used by these commands.

I consider this a suboptimal solution. It would be more consistent
if these commands obeyed bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p just like the
other MUA commands. Yet the problem lies in the usage of the prefix
arg:

Commands such as bbdb-mua-display-records can use their prefix arg for
the two alternatives implemented by bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p.
Commands such as bbdb-mua-edit-field use their prefix arg for something
else.

So I can think of two possible strategies:

(1) bbdb-mua-edit-field and friends use the "no-prefix value" of
    bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p.

(2) All MUA commands use a separate prefix key for the two
    alternatives provided by bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p. This
    would be similar to the prefix keys `*' and `+' in the *BBDB*
    buffer. Then the different MUA commands can use the normal
    prefix arg for whatever they like without a conflict with
    bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p.

    Here a problem is finding a suitable key: The *BBDB* buffer has
    its own keymap so that there are many keys available for such a
    feature. In the MUA buffers, the key bindings for the MUA
    commands can use only those keys that are not used for anything
    else.

Thoughts? Comments? Other suggestions?