Hi,

"Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> writes:

> On Fri Jun 16 2017 Angel de Vicente wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this is due to upgrading to BBDB 3 or due to the
>> other packages that I installed (ivy, counsel, etc.)...
>
> Lots of configuration options have changed from BBDB 2 to 3, see
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UpgradeBBDB
>
> I suggest you first make sure BBDB 3 works for you as expected in an
> Emacs session that doesn't load other packages that may override
> Emacs' default behavior.  (I do not know what "ivy", "counsel" and
> "etc." do.)
>
> Once you got this working you may want to load the other packages,
> too.

The culprit seems to be "ivy". After disabling it, I'm able to create a
new record in BBDB with M-x bbdb-create, and either C-j or just leaving
the fields empty gets me out of the infinite "Street Address" loop
described in my previous message. For the moment I can do it manually,
though later on I will have to figure out how to disable ivy, call
bbdb-create and re-enable ivy.

What I don't seem to get is a nice integration with Gnus as I used to
have with my previous BBDB version, 2.36. Ideally I would like:

1. when reading a message, see if the sender is in my database (I can do
   that by pressing ":")
2. Once the BBDB buffer is shown, I would like that when I move to
   another message, the BBDB buffer is updated automatically: now I have
   to press ":" again to see the new sender, and if the sender is not in
   BBDB, it just shows the previous sender, where ideally an empty
   buffer would be better
3. Pressing ":" again gets rid of the BBDB buffer
4. If the sender is not in the database press some key and offer the
   option to include it in the database.

If anybody is using BBDB + Gnus and can give me some advice on how to
get these things done I will appreciate it a lot.

Many thanks,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/