On Wed Jun 21 2017 Greg Bognar wrote:
> > To activate BBDB you should not require bbdb but bbdb-loaddefs.el,
> > see README.  Does this solve your problem?
>
> No, it does not.  It makes no difference.
>
> I have read the README several times.  I have some understanding
> of Elisp, but it is no help.  I have also asked around on the WL
> list, and the only people for whom this works properly use BBDB2.
>
> It would be very helpful to provide a sample configuration in the
> README that is known to work.

I myself do not know anything about WL.  I got the code that BBDB
uses to interact with WL from David Maus, whom I include in this
message.

However, if I set up BBDB using the following code with my-mua bound to
gnus or vm, BBDB will query to auto-update the database whenever I
read a message, where the sender is not yet known to BBDB.

(require 'bbdb-loaddefs "/path/to/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-loaddefs.el")
(setq my-mua 'gnus)
(bbdb-initialize my-mua)
(bbdb-mua-auto-update-init my-mua)
(setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(query . create)
      bbdb-update-records-p 'query
      bbdb-mua-auto-update-p 'query)

Can you reproduce that this works for you as expected with Gnus?

If the BBDB interface with WL does not work as it should, could
someone look into this who is actually using WL and knows more about
it than me?