----- Original Message -----
From: "The Korrows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2002 9:51 AM
Subject: Re: What is Magic?>

> What kind of farm do you have?
Dear Christy,
We will farm 21 pivots for 03 season (each 130 irrigated acres).  We will
have corn, kidney beans, wheat, alfalfa and irrigated grass pasture mix,
with cattle rotating throughout the farm to utilize "scrap" feed, such as
corn stalks, green manures planted behind wheat, pasture, etc.  We have come
from very conventional ag (just knew we had to have the chemicals, salt
based fertilizers, etc) 6 years ago and are struggling to survive
economically through the transition to more regenerational farming
practices.  Soils are what they call Valentine sand, which means OM of 1-2%
(if you haven't burned it up already--we were down under 1% of lots of it).
So it was pretty easy to wreck it in short order.  We've made and applied
compost, quit using alot (not all) of the chemicals, used prodigous amounts
of natural soil amendments, cut way back on the salt based fertilizers and
add molasses as a carbon source with all of them, use green manure crops,
reintroduced cattle, increased diversity of crops, and worked real hard on
our "intent" here.  We also put in a greenhouse to grow our own vegetables
after realizing through all the reading and learning we've done in this
process that most of what you buy in the store is garbage.   The two 500
gallon tea brewers were kept very busy all season and we love that process
to try and replenish the soil biology.   Just beginning to understand the
importance of the fungal component needed in the soil, so looking to make
teas more fungal.  (thanks steve storch)  It was at my first BD conference
in Oct (thanks allan balliet) that it became clear to me that we could cover
our farm with the preps if it worked in the teas.  We currently have 4 of
Hugh Lovels pipes broadcasting the preps but the teas should be able to work
together with that.  But my biggest concern is putting the wrong preps in at
the wrong times for what is needed out there!?!?!?  So I will begin slow and
"try and let the process teach me"  as I have been told to do.
As I said before, I don't really even know if I believe that bigger farms
are correct anymore, but it is the way it is.  My dream is to make this
place an example of health and vitality and to be able to share the
processes with anyone who honestly wants to make a difference and to help
those folks maybe sidestep some of the mistakes we have made.  I know it is
possible to grow exceptionally good crops on these soils and to improve the
soil at the same time.  It should be a continuing upward spiral, and we are
seeing it on some of the fields (not all yet to our frustration) but some of
them are reaching out to us and letting us know IT IS WORKING!!!!
Thanks for your comments and if there is a BD farmer somewhere in Nebraska
(you thought maybe Bob Steffan-Massena Farms) could you maybe help me to
contact him with a town name or something?

Thanks again-
Michelle Wendell