Lloyd,

The BD remedies in the broadcaster set up the conditions, but, of course,
if the soil is dead it helps enormously to apply some compost to get the
micro-organisms cooking.
If the soil is already biologically alive no compost may be needed. We
planted a couple acre corn field this year on an old dairy hayfield that
had enough biology and got good corn yield with no fertilizer whatsoever.
Planning on doing this on a 8 acre field next year, as we could use the
animal feed, and corn adds about half a percent organic matter in a season.

Best,
Hugh

Visit our website at: www.unionag.org