On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:26:18 +1200, Peter Michael Bacchus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

How should we define quality
when comparing produce from so many different countries? Brix, nitrates,
protiens, amino acids? Taste, smell, texture etc. are good if all the goods
are in the same room. I agree that "objective" quality criteria need to be developed too. There are a number of instruments that look at light
emmisions like delayed luminesence and there is Aura photography too. Lets come to some aggrement on this question before we start the comparisons.

Don't forget simple chromatograms. And please add hearing and sight to your "taste, smell, texture." I've also found that ordinary heft speaks to higher quality. And then there are animal feeding experiments. My personal favorite quality measure is resistence to rot. I guess in seeds, germination rates tell a lot---a whole lot.

Steve Diver, a member of this list, has put a lot of work into trying to background quality and has published a brief paper on the subject. I hope one day he expands and converts that into a book. For some reason I think the English have worked a good bit on how to determine high quality food from low. Perhaps their famous proclivity to tooth decay alerted them to the need somewhat earlier.

Do keep in mind that government agencies are loathe to talk about quality. I understand that because for them to say that one food is better, or safer, is to simultaneously say that the vast majority of what is called food is not so good and not so safe. So they dodge the issue by deliberately "assuming" all food is the same. They hope (pray) that all of us will assume all food is the same. Therein comes the USDA tables of nutrients, a truly awe-inspiring piece of propaganda.

I mentioned animal feeding experiments. Those are easy because you have captive subjects. For instance, if the animal fails to thrive on one farmer's pasture, but grows and functions perfectly on another farmer's grass, the quality case is closed(*). Lately, I have seen an article about feeding prisoners and how higher quality food equates to less inhouse violence and minimal recidivism.

The list goes on and on. Quality is what we should all be striving for. Agriculture makes such perfect sense when quality is in the equation. If BD, radionics, homeopathy, or whatever are to be truly pertinent, then they have to speak to quality.

Thanks for showing some interest. Most people are only concerned with the bins and bushels. To date, ordinary "organic" has shown me little, if any, quality improvement over conventional. I'm hopeful BD will build a better track record. In my very humble opinion (IMVHO), something HAS to build a better track record or we are going to see weaker and weaker generations of kids. Many people fault "Pottenger's Cats" for one reason or another, but the big picture looms large: feed animals or humans wrong and they quit breeding after a few generations. Will we wake up to this fact when there is a fertility clinic on every corner?

Regards,
Rex Harrill
(*) Someone mentioned sheep the size of ponies on this list the other day. I think they were saying that a particular area had such good soil that the animals grew to exceptional size. If the poster were to add that those animals NEVER had need of a vet (no disease, broken bones, etc), I would be most impressed. I'd also want to be growing my veggies there. _______________________________________________