Dear Bob,

To be fair to the readers, you should point out that
(a) you and I are competitors and you have no interest
in seeing me succeed at anything, (b) we never met
each other and don't know each other, other than by
name and reputation, (c) I have never criticized your
work - I know only a little bit about your work (see
below), (d) that Ralph Riva, V.P. at Wente in charge
of their vineyards, told me that you were not an
employee of Wente but were consulting with them at the
time I worked with him there and I never saw or met
you there, and (e) that the vineyard you mention at
Wente was a 20 acre vineyard of Chardonnay where you
had 10 acres to work on and I had the other 10 acres
to work on.  The two blocks were separated by a 30
foot roadway.  We were in a competition created by
Ralph to see which system was better - yours, which he
called "sustainable", or mine.

After almost one year, in Ralph Riva's written
evaluation of the two side-by-side blocks, he noted
that our cover crop was more lush, despite the fact
that it had been driven over several times more than
yours and "healthier" than yours (this, he told me at
the time was in response to your critique of our cover
crop), our canopy was twice the size of yours, our
grape clusters were twice the size, had twice as many
grapes and had twice as many clusters as your side,
and that the soil temperature in the winter was 2
degrees higher on our side when compared to your side
which he said indicated a higher level of soil biotic
activity than your side had, another indicator of
better health.  In short, according to Ralph, our side
was a greater success than your 10 acre block, if it
indeed was your block.

We were brought in to teach Wente employees, not their
consultants, our system as it was developing at the
time and to show Ralph that our methods and products
could save 80% or more of their Chardonnay vines that
were dying from an infestation of Phylloxera.  We were
able to save about 80% of the vines, which Ralph can
verify.  Unfortunately, Wente sold off most of "our"
side of this vineyard after we completed our work
which was then turned into a housing project.

The vineyard was planted in Chardonnay clone 2A which
was one of the original Chardonnay clones planted in
California.  One of our jobs was to save enough of the
vines so that they could take cuttings to graft into a
new vineyard.

One of the benefits of Steiner's remedies is that they
bring out the best that a plant has to offer.  So,
according to Ralph, he was more easily able to pick
the best vines for cuttings after he applied our
sprays.

I say "our" sprays because at the time, which is as I
do now, I make my own Horn Humus, Horn Quartz and Horn
Clay.  At that time I used only the raw preparations.
I did not have our current line of homeopathic
sequential sprays.  Ralph has samples of our current
sprays.  He told me he tested them with his radionic
machine and they rated so high in Life Force Energy
that they practically went off the scale.

To date, although he personally supports my work, he
has not continued with our program at Wente.  He says
there is resistance in upper management to do so.  He
says that some people have been saying very nasty
things about me, although since he knows me personally
and knows my work, he, personally, does not believe
what he hears.  Would you know anything about that?

So, those are the facts about Wente.  If you want to
dispute them, I suggest you take it up with Ralph
Riva.

As far as wineries other than Topolos are concerned,
we have a few such as Deerfield Ranch which produces a
gold medal Merlot wine that Michael grows using our
methods and products.  But inasmuch as three years
ago, I saw that our methods, products and system were
evolving faster than I could keep up with them, I made
a decision not to take on any more than one client a
year until I worked out all the wrinkles.  Over the
years, we've had some good luck with some people, and
bad luck with others.  What I have learned is that our
former system was too complicated and too far out for
most people to understand.  So I have spent the past 3
years working almost exclusively with Michael Topolos
to refine, simplify and demystify our system.

May I suggest that before you go through the litany of
all the people you think hate me, you talk to Michael
and actually go see his vineyards.  Make an evaluation
for yourself.  Then get back to me.

As of now, though, I stand by the statement that we,
Michael Topolos and I, in terms of organic
viticulture,  disease eradication, increasing yields
and quality and lowering costs, have accomplished more
in viticulture than anyone alive today and I would be
happy to go head to head with you or anyone else on
any project you might have in mind.  Maybe we could
even learn from each other.

I would be happy to have my methods and products
evaluated by the best in the business.  I am working
on making connections with universities in several
states around the country in an effort to encourage
them to evaluate our methods and products.  I am not
afraid of any criticism nor am I afraid of failure.
We learn by our mistakes, not so much by creating
successes.

But as far as the Wente job was concerned, according
to Ralph, we did the better job.

As I state over and over again, one of my major
concerns is that biodynamics is too complicated for
most people to understand and too shrouded in
mysticism to be widely accepted.  I've endeavored to
simplify it to the point where it is a "pour and
spray" system just as conventional agriculture is.
This, after 10 years and a lot of money, I have
finally done which is why I am so excited about
bringing it out into the market and challenging
anyone, anywhere to put my products to the test in an
objective way, not some test rigged to create failure.

I have great respect for Amigo Bob, and you, from what
little I've heard and read about you, as well as other
organic soil consultants for your ability to improve
soils.  I can do the same things with soil that you,
Bob or anyone else in this field can do.  To me,
that's no big thing.  What makes my work different,
and successful, is that I recognize the plant has a
relationship with the soil, the atmosphere and the
Cosmos.  In the past, the only well known
practitioners of agriculture who knew this, other than
Steiner, were Burbank and Carver.

For the average person, only by employing Steiner's
remedies can you help a plant make the connection it
needs to the Cosmos, in the right way, without an
excessive amount of work and time. Steiner's remedies
do this instantly.  I have no idea where you stand
regarding biodynamics, but I've heard that Amigo Bob
doesn't call himself a biodynamics practitioner.  I've
seen some great soil development in AB's vineyards but
IMHO, they still lack that connection to the Cosmos
which can be proven easily by dowsing or by radionics
testing.  When that connection is made, his vines and
his olive trees would do even better.

At this time, Michael Topolos and I are sufficiently
satisfied with my system to make the whole thing
public and I hope that you and others appreciate the
value of it when you get the full story, although I
know not everyone will.

We are starting to work with farmers on crops other
than winegrape vines in several other states now.

In the mean time, in my mind, I know that I have some
fences to mend around here and more work to do.  For
many years, I was very sick and didn't know it so I
came off as a grouch too much of the time.  Constant
physical pain will do that to you.  I've since found
out the problem and am now on the way to recovering,
after almost dying last Christmas. I will do my best
to mend fences by, among other things, offering our
remedies to the clients I've had in the past, some of
whom still won't talk to me.  Others are just
perplexed.  Many still use what I taught them with
greater success.

Some will never have a good relationship with me, nor
I with them.  One client in particular, who shall
remain nameless, who refused to follow any of my
instructions, had, I found out after I left, some
person sabotaging everything I did in every way
imaginable.  His ego was/is so big, he couldn't stand
any competition in the limelight and he viewed me as a
threat instead of someone who could help him make
better wine.  It happens.  I would call that vineyard
experience a total failure and I certainly can't use
them as a reference.  (You've probably never had a
client who hated you.)  Early on, 5 and 10 years ago,
we had other spectacular failures.  Biodynamics was
still in its infancy then and I got absolutely no help
from the BDA, JPI or Demeter.  I had to do it all by
myself.  When I analyzed what happened, I made
corrections.  But I would say that in every case, if I
failed for some reason, the failure was mutually
instigated.

Having said all this, I must say that for you to state
outright that no one other than Michael Topolos has
anything nice to say about me, my methods or products
is just outright wrong.

For example, ask Donald Harms and Patricia Damery how
I saved them from losing a $100,000 winegrape crop a
few years ago.  I don't believe you mentioned them.

Perhaps I can grace you with others at some future
date.

While you're at it, how many people do you know who
have actually used our new field sprays?  How many
have you used?  Why didn't you come to Michael
Topolos' and my organic viticulture workshop a few
weeks ago?  You were invited. I haven't seen you on
the organic vineyard tour in Sonoma County.

Sigh.  It's a comment on the human condition I guess,
that the people who are my worst critics don't know
me, have never met me, know nothing about my work and
have never used any of my products or methods.

Since I'm working in the field of cutting edge
agriculture, I guess this is to be expected.  No one
else is doing the kind of work I'm doing, except maybe
Glen Atkinson although his interests are different
than mine.  No one else that I know of is willing to
take the risks to pocketbook, sanity and reputation.
However, in the face of all this, I have persisted and
now have a complete, simple, competent, proven system
that I am proud to say anyone can understand and
follow. (You need to by my book.)

More than that, today, I understand better than ever
the nature of disease and insect problems in plants
and have completely integrated everything I know about
biology with sound management practices in a system
that is so efficient, Michael Topolos has been able to
lower his operating cost on one vineyard to $500 per
acre per year, producing 6 to 8 tons of gold medal
wine on 776 vines every year.  I'd like to know the
name of anyone else who has done that.  Michael will
confirm this.

Well, I have no real idea what you have accomplished
but from what I hear, many sing your praises.  That's
great. I appreciate your questions and I am happy to
answer them as fully and honestly as I can.  It helps
to present the facts, though, especially about Wente.
Don't you agree?

Michael Topolos can be reached at 707-887-1575.  You
may still be able to get some gold medal Merlot on the
Deerfield Ranch website at
http://www.deerfieldranch.com.  You can also view the
new environmentally sound vineyards that Michael and I
are helping them develop there. They love my stuff!

Well, Bob, believe it or not, our new homeopathic
field sprays are going to completely revolutionize
agriculture.  Heck, we even slipped one set into one
of Hugh's Field Broadcasters to see how well they work
there (not in California).

Greg Willis
Agri-Synthesis®
Napa, CA