On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 08:31:10AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

... snip ...

> > p.s.  is there a way to identify which perl module supplies the
> > Perl_Gthr_key_ptr symbol?  perhaps it's just a dependency issue
> > that didn't exist in 10.04 but is somehow in 11.04.
>
> That symbol would be defined in libperl.so and is on my system..  It
> sounds very much as if this software is not playing nicely.  Does it
> have its own version of perl, perhaps embedded?  Is it messing with
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH or something similar?

  i think i'm close, just need another push.  i tried building all my
host tools on this system and the build of "git" still failed with the
same error i've seen before:

/home/rpjday/WindRiver/prj/4.3/vrf_host/host-cross/bin/perl
Makefile.PL
PREFIX='/home/rpjday/WindRiver/prj/4.3/vrf_host/host-cross'
/home/rpjday/WindRiver/prj/4.3/vrf_host/host-cross/bin/perl: symbol
lookup error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so: undefined symbol:
Perl_Gthr_key_ptr
Makefile:41: *** [perl.mak] Error 127

  and now another google shows me this:

    https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/24575

  ah, so the build might just be picking up the totally wrong Cwd.so
file, and a quick "find" shows, yes indeed, there are two of them on
my system:

  /usr/lib/perl/5.10.1/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so
  /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so

and checking which packages they belong to:

$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/perl/5.10.1/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so
perl-base: /usr/lib/perl/5.10.1/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so
$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so
libfile-spec-perl: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so
$

and it seems clear that the build is picking up the second one of
those.  any guesses that the first one is the right one?  and what
would be the proper solution here?  if i try to remove
libfile-spec-perl, "apt-get" tells me that's the only package that
would go so dependencies wouldn't be an issue.

  and why would i have ended up with two packages each containing
Cwd.so?  that sounds like a recipe for confusion and badness.  but i
don't want to delete anything just yet until i'm feeling more
confident.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca