Hi Shlomi,

Shlomi Fish wrote:
Hi all!

I've been tutoring someone in Perl 5, and as she wants to learn Perl from a paperware book, she borrowed the book "Sams Teach Yourself Perl in 21 Days" from her workplace's library, and started reading it. Now, all those "in 21 Days"/"in 24 hours"/"unleashed"/"for Dummies"/etc. books tend to have a bad reputation among knowledgeable people, so I'd like to know how good this particular book is, so I won't have to undo the damage if it's bad.

I can't comment on this book in particular, but I did go through "Sams Teach
Yourself C++ in 21 Days".  I went through the book a long, long time ago and I
thought this series was gone...surprised to just look on Amazon and see that it's up to a
5th edition.  *yikes*

The book isn't bad and books like these or the "Dummies" series don't deserve
the negative comments.  They aren't great, but they obviously sell and they sell because
they satisfy a niche.  It's for the busy people or the ones who just want to have their
hand held at first.  That niche would perhaps be not the people on this list who have
chosen to use O'Reilly books, etc. (Learning Perl, etc.).  So, I doubt you're going to
get any positive comments.

I think if the person you are tutoring has a computer science background (i.e.,
used other languages before), then she might find this book and this series a
bit boring.  But otherwise, it's a good warm-up and if she finds she has a
thirst for more Perl afterwards, then she might want to try another one like
Learning Perl.

Ray