This books tend to teach programming (the syntax of a programm language), not
software development. Thats a big issue in the whole it-world. Everybody who
can read a shell-skript and work with an text-editor calls himself a software
developer.

A software developer has to know much more then a hobby coder.
-> standardisations
-> design/documentation process
-> revision control
-> code complexity controll
-> best practise implementation standards
-> error handling
-> deep understanding of the underling layers (computer, netwrok, database...
what ever)
etc.

Most code I see nowadays done by many of my so called "software developer"
colleagues lacks of all those techniques. If you want to do here a favour, hand
here a book about software development. If she needs perl for her business, she
has to learn this anyway. Some people by the hardway (reimplementing a pile of
500 000 undocumentet logical completly wierd lines of self-made horror), some
people the softway (getting it taugh by a wise man).

bye,
b.

>Raymond Wan <r...@kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp> hat am 13. März 2009 um 04:24
>geschrieben:

> Hi Shlomi,
>

> Shlomi Fish wrote:
>> > Hi all!
>> >
>> > I've been tutoring someone in Perl 5, and as she wants to learn Perl from
>> > paperware book, she borrowed the book "Sams Teach Yourself Perl in 21
>> > Days"
>> > from her workplace's library, and started reading it. Now, all those "in
>> > 21
>> > Days"/"in 24 hours"/"unleashed"/"for Dummies"/etc. books tend to have a
>> > bad
>> > reputation among knowledgeable people, so I'd like to know how good this
>> > particular book is, so I won't have to undo the damage if it's bad.
>>

>> I can't comment on this book in particular, but I did go through "Sams Teach
>> Yourself >C++ in 21 Days".  I went through the book a long, long time ago
>> and I thought this series >was gone...surprised to just look on Amazon and
>> see that it's up to a 5th edition.  <*yikes*
<>