Denise, Deuce and all,
    I started training Boomer at about 12 weeks.  Of course I didn't have
him jump or do the dangerous stuff at that age.  But the earlier you expose
to the baby teeter, tunnel, ladder on the ground (to teach him where his
feet are), etc., the easier it is later.
    Boomer went to the big show in Cleveland in December in the preferred
classes so he didn't have to jump full height.  He wasn't quit 19 months old
and, other than knocking off a bar here and there (He's still learning how
to jump.  It's hard for a big dog to know where to gather himself between
jumps so that the take-off is in the right place.), he performed beautifully
and loved every minute of it.
    Go ahead and get your 8 mo. old started.  Just don't jump him over 12
inches at first.  By the end of the class you might be able to do 16 if it's
elbow height or below.  Don't have him go over the full height A-frame for a
while either.  Coming down can be hard.  And make sure he's steady before
trying the dog walk very high.  You don't want him to fall off and hurt
himself.  Hopefully these are safeguards that your trainer will have built
into the beginner class.

Claudia Brydon in NW PA
Barney OA NAJ (Aussie)
Boomer (Bernese Mountain Dog)