Karen,

I would highly recommend a Gentle Leader. We've used them on both our guys and they work really well. Our trainer uses these exclusively. I tried a "pinch collar" on Tugboat once because of an issue we were having with him fence fighting a couple of dogs on his walk, but I will NEVER do that again. That was months ago and I THINK he's forgiven us. You can check it out at www.gentleleader.com. It gives plenty of information on how it works, etc. It's more like a horse harness than a collar and there's no pain for the dog. Except the trauma of not getting to do exactly what they want when they want!

Andie Reid
Wilmington, NC

Karen wrote:

Dear Listers,
Hi everyone!! First of all, just a quick update on Stevie. Stevie is doing
absolutely WONDERFULLY. He is really a very "normal" and somewhat "goofy"
boy. Bouncy and energetic. Stevie saw the vets yesterday and we do not have
to go back again!! They have declared him completely recovered from his
horrific accident (and believe me they are in awe just as much as I am!!!!)
and also from his recent "testicular tumour" scare. All is well, Thank God
and thank all of you!!
Now I have a question for all my learned list friends. I have been having a
problem myself with some health issues that involve my balance and physical
strength. Stevie, now that he is well, is very exuberant to go out and
explore absolutely everything. I have always only used a regular web collar
on him but he pulls sometimes. He actually has pulled me off my feet and I
am a fairly big girl! If I have him on leash and he sees a bird that he
would like to get to know or anything else that strikes his fancy, he just
about pulls my arm out of the socket. A friend of mine uses a "pinch collar"
and I just wanted an opinion on them. I tried one on Stevie and it worked
beautifully, but I don't know whether to use it or not. I value your
opinions and suggestions. When I took Stevie out with it on this morning
there was no pulling at all, and he did not seem to mind it at all. I just
don't want to traumatize or hurt him in anyway. Thanks in advance for all
and any help.
Big Berner Hugs and Kisses
Karen and Stevie
NB, Canada