As usual, the apps installed cleanly and quickly, but there is a little
quirk on the iPhone. Seems the J icon is replaced by one that has  the
"Welcome to J" message  (kind of a fly's eye view of the working screen)
instead of the stylized J... (this doesn't seem to happen on the iPad)

I couldn't detect any differences concerning the "launch images" you
described - but was wondering if that is somehow tied into the icon
corruption.

Took me awhile to puzzle out the usage described in Hbutton but I would
say that the new help scheme seems like a good step. The fact that it is
closer to command line behavior suits me just fine.

Adding the bullet button on the input line does make the text input
quite short in iPhone portrait mode (about 15 characters), but it isn't
a noticeable loss in landscape mode. I suppose you could make the
buttons a little skinnier, but they are already as skinny as the key pad
in portrait mode, I don't think you would gain enough to improve the
input line without making them very difficult to touch accurately...

Nice to have the tar/zip archiving features - thanks. Double thanks for
the start.ijs feature!!

It may be a convention (or a convenience) but I find the optional "/"
between ~ and directory to be contrary to my nix thinking... Interesting
that both dir '~user' and dir '~/user' produce the same result. Reminds
me of DOS where blanks could be left out - e.g. dira: being the same as
dir a:  Seems like a bad idea just to save a character....

I can't get the results you claim from left/right swipe of the hview.
Such swipes switch applications in the order they appear with a four
finger up swipe of the screen (and your Hwww help message suggests using
the gesture that way to switch beween J and browser) I did manage, once
or twice, to see an effect of switching hviews, but it was from a
sequence of taps and gestures that I cannot reproduce. What am I missing??