The ~user convention is not new to this version of J and has been with J
forever. ~user is used by jpath to do the lookup in SystemFolders_j_.
Because J iOS is jail rooted you have the coincidence that ~user and ~/user
are the same. But they get that way in very different ways. You should use
~user as that is what you would use on J on any platform.