I forgot where you were located; just to get a handle on weather related type of diseases.

Cecil in OKla

Pantalone, John A (GE Infra, Energy) wrote:
Just an updated on my issue with sheep dieing.

I ended up treating with Corid (amprolium) - assuming it was Coccidia.
I directly drenched the one AB ewe that was on deaths door, and she has
recovered nicely.  She still is very skinny, but is acting very sheep
like (eating with the others, etc).  I treated the water that was
available to the remainder of the flock (10 sheep, 2 steers, and 2
donkeys).

Unfortunatly, my one and only Dorper ewe got sick and died yesterday.
Surely she was drinking the Corid, but the symptoms were identical to
the recent deaths I had over the last few months.  She started getting
lethargic, loosing weight rapidly, and about a week after symptoms -
died.  This ewe was about 3 years old, and with my flock for about 8
months.

Im concerned that it wasn't Coccidiosis.  Their stool has always been
normal in appearance.  The ewe that just died had a full belly of grass,
yet she had lost about 30-40 lbs from the heafty 150ish she weighed when
I got her 8 months ago (and most of that in the last 4 weeks).

I never did take them to the vet or have a stool/blood sample tested.
The treatment of the AB was so promising, and the death of the Dorper so
quick, that I wasn't too concerned.

The search continues...

[Blackbelly] Wasting Away
Pantalone, John A (GE Infra, Energy)
Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:41:14 -0700

I have had 3 sheep in the last two months die from progressively wasting
away.  From the moment I notice thin ribs and hips, it takes about 1-2
weeks for them to die.  I noticed another one today and am at a loss.  I
have tried administering antibiotics (LA200 and B12), but they seem to
die within a day or two anyway.

These sheep have been with me for a few years (or born here), however, I
have recently (about 4mths ago) introduced several Royal White Sheep to
my flock.  The mature Royal Whites had scrapies ear tags.  My original
flock had never been tested.  They all eat grass regularly (with a bit
of grain) and get minerals.

Anybody have any ideas?

John
---------