Of course it doesn't matter if it is your fault or not, if they won't issue a
policy they just won't.

Water and fire and of course theft are the big issues with insurance.

Roof needs to be satisfactory, heating and electrical and plumbing.

Holes in the ceilings and walls shouldn't matter much except that they speak to
the rest of the maintenance and home owner attitude. Same is true for the yard
although they may be concerned about risk for personal injury.

Your water damage history will be a problem regardless of why it happened, if
the insurers are satisfied that the problem is fixed all should be fine but,
there is this principle that some dwellings are just bad luck. I once knew a
woman who was refused automobile insurance because her car had been hit four
times in one year. She wasn't even in it on any of the occasions but the
insurers more or less said that if her car was among hundreds in a parking lot
it would be the one hit and that wasn't a risk they would accept.

Probably the thing to do is get a list of required improvements from the agent
and work to that.

Another important question you need to answer is how and why is that damage
happening.

How old are the kids, are they disciplined enough to direct in getting the yard
cleaned up? Are you able to direct that work? Appearance can make a big
impression even if it isn't related to the performance of the building.

Remember too, insurance is to restore what is lost. If the building is damaged
it will obviously be replaced to a better standard than the loss. In other
words if it burns down and insurance rebuilds it you can profit substantially
by reselling something you otherwise couldn't have given away. Insurance
companies are very aware of some of the baser human motivations.

Just a few reflections.

Dale Leavens.