Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:30:16 -0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: NY Times article on Bangle <wob>

Good thing for me I'm neither Bavarian nor respectable!

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:12:39 -0500
From: Neil Maller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Bug is biting

on 1/29/04 11:41 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> The bug is biting on getting a high performance 3 series.
>
> As someone who has driven all of the cars you're asking about, and owns a
> 330i, let me chime in.
>
> E36 vs. E46 -- The new chassis is far superior to the old. The revised
> suspension is much more composed over rough surfaces, much more
> comfortable, and the 330i is almost as quick as the old M3 sedan.

I own a (wonderful) E36 M3, and have driven a 330i both on the street and
track, and echo what Peter says about it. The E46 chassis is noticeably more
rigid than the E36, and the suspension, despite being similar in general
design, is notably more refined.

Guess what? A decade or so of development pays off.

However in everyday driving the E46 does feel a little more detached as far
as road feel goes, although in hard cornering the steering loads up nicely.
The 330i is definitely slower than my M3, although the double VANOS engine
is so smooth that the sensation of speed tends to be masked. The 6 speed is
nice to have for relaxed interstate work. The Alcantara seats and steering
wheel in the 330i are just plain wonderful.

Now of course a 330i is going to cost a bunch more at this point than a used
E36 M3. But if both are within the buyer's financial comfort zone I can't
see buying into 15 year old technology, unless it's mostly for track use.

Neil
96 M3