Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:13:18 -0800 (PST)
From: P Kroon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
Subject: E36 and bent wheels, anyone else having this problem??

My 328i seems to be bending a lot of wheels.  Now at
the outset, I realize I live in the pothole capital of
the northeast, but I haven't had this much problem
with other cars.  My stock 15" wheels bent, then a set
of 18" wheels bent (no huge surprise here), now
another set of 17" wheels are bent.

What strikes me as strange is the fact that I've had
several cars with 17' and 18" wheels, and never had a
problem.  These wheels aren't particularly
light-weight wheels either.  Mayby it is the stiffer
than normal BMW suspension (though my mustang
certainly had stiffer springs than my stock E36)??
Just wondering if this is a common issue.

Thanks,

-Paul

__________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger

Higher tire inflation helps.  Try 40 psi.  What springs and shocks do you
have.  If the springs are lowered, and you have Bilsteins, the problem is
limited suspension travel.

Gary Derian

> My 328i seems to be bending a lot of wheels.  Now at
> the outset, I realize I live in the pothole capital of
> the northeast, but I haven't had this much problem
> with other cars.  My stock 15" wheels bent, then a set
> of 18" wheels bent (no huge surprise here), now
> another set of 17" wheels are bent.
>
> What strikes me as strange is the fact that I've had
> several cars with 17' and 18" wheels, and never had a
> problem.  These wheels aren't particularly
> light-weight wheels either.  Mayby it is the stiffer
> than normal BMW suspension (though my mustang
> certainly had stiffer springs than my stock E36)??
> Just wondering if this is a common issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Paul
>

> __________________________________
> Yahoo! Messenger
> Search the ARCHIVES:http://www.mail-archive.com/bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com

> In memory of Michel Potheau - friend, enthusiast, founder of the BMW CCA.
>
> UUC Motorwerks - BMW Performance Fine-tuning and home of the Ultimate
> Short Shifter - accept no substitutes!
> 908-874-9092 . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com

------------------------------

I second the notion about tire pressure. I have had 2 E36's with 15", 16",
and 17" wheels, and no bent wheels yet over a 10 yr time. Always keep
34-35lbs in tires. BTW, I live in the Northeast also-near Boston-so no
shortage of potholes.
MikeG
> My 328i seems to be bending a lot of wheels.  Now at
> the outset, I realize I live in the pothole capital of
> the northeast, but I haven't had this much problem
> with other cars.  My stock 15" wheels bent, then a set
> of 18" wheels bent (no huge surprise here), now
> another set of 17" wheels are bent.
>
> What strikes me as strange is the fact that I've had
> several cars with 17' and 18" wheels, and never had a
> problem.  These wheels aren't particularly
> light-weight wheels either.  Mayby it is the stiffer
> than normal BMW suspension (though my mustang
> certainly had stiffer springs than my stock E36)??
> Just wondering if this is a common issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Paul
>

> __________________________________
> Yahoo! Messenger
> Search the ARCHIVES:http://www.mail-archive.com/bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com

> In memory of Michel Potheau - friend, enthusiast, founder of the BMW CCA.
>
> UUC Motorwerks - BMW Performance Fine-tuning and home of the Ultimate
> Short Shifter - accept no substitutes!
> 908-874-9092 . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com

------------------------------

No shortage of potholes here in MN, either.   I bent by 1st wheel a couple
months ago on a huge pothole (in 12 years of MN driving).  One of the E36 16"
sport pkg wheels that I use with winter tires (I have 17's for summer).  I've
heard of others having problems, but I haven't.  My wife's car has 17 winter
tires, no problem there (not BMW though, Acura TSX).

Mark
'96 328i

What tire pressures are you using?  Factory sticker pressures, "the lawyer's
suspension", as described to me by a past BMWNA exec, do not give sufficient
protection to the wheels.  I set 'Jack's 17"s to 40+ psi front/ 36+ rear.  May
be a bit firm for some of you but the handling is better and I haven't bent a
rim on a BMW in two decades as long as the tires pressures are high.
hth,
Barry