Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:54:18 -0700
From: Brad Houser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Tammer Farid'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
Subject: Re: <E34> window trim oxidation

There is a black trim tape that will work too.

Brad H

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:06:03 -0500
From: Clarence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Phil Marx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
Subject: Re: topside oil change

I agree.  My understanding is that changing oil when warm/hot helps
ensure that the particulates in the oil are suspended and drain (or are
sucked out) better.

Though the time may come when I won't want to go under the car, I, too,
use the oil change as an opportunity to visually inspect things.  In
fact, isn't that what a lot of garages do?

My Penzoil experiences: In about 1968, we opened the engine of my
brother's Bonneville and found lots of sludge; I think it was for a
valve job.  Things were cleaned and put back together. A few months
later the valve covers were removed again, and it was all sludged up
already.

Forward to the winter of 1984/1985. We had just moved back to Wisconsin
w/our 1969 Ambassador w/over 100k miles. At the time we had no garage,
there was lots of snow on the ground and we were in a cold snap.  Not
wanting to go much beyond the 2k change interval (the engine got noiser
at about that point) I took it to a quick oil change place. Aside from
getting oil splashed on the windshield, overtightening the PS cover to
the point of bending it, they used Penzoil.  My wife commented that the
engine sounded like a sewing machine.  I changed the oil myself a week
later. Never again.

Clarence
West Bend, WI