Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:26:16 -0700
From: JKerouac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Neil Maller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com" <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: Re: CE lights and coolant leaks

     I _am still baffled, pleased that the CE is out, seems to be
staying out, and want to know if something simple was causing it that I
have now rectified.
     The codes always were O2 sensor faults, I posted what they were on
take 1 of this thread.  With the hosing downs, coolant leaks,
use/non-use of Redline SL1 fuel additive, now bigger radiator/ cooler
thermostat/ and water pump replacement, its a puzzle I need to sort out.
As you say, even with the codes, its not always simple.  No need to ask
you how you know, I know too.

Barry

Neil Maller wrote:

>on 8/3/05 3:00 AM, JKerouac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>It was baffling initially when the CE returned.
>>

>Err, I submit that you're still baffled.
>Until you read the codes to find out what the CEL is protesting about you're
>basically wasting your time. In fact at present you can't even be sure that
>the CEL is recurring for the same reason. There are way too many things you
>can diddle with, and way too many things the CEL can take offense at, to
>hope that shots in the dark will hit the right target. The $150 investment
>in a Peake code reader could pay real dividends.
>In fact even when you do have the code readout it's not always simple - ask
>me how I know...
>Neil
>Fort Wayne, IN
>96 M3      - Bastard child
>03 525iT   - Sterling Grey Metallic
>77 MGB     - Original owner, need to sell
>05 Mini    - Cooper S with LSD!

If the CE code indicated O2 sensor trouble, then perhaps that is a good
place to start.  Their output dithers between about 0.2 volts and 0.6 volts
low or consistently too high.  Either the sensors are bad or the fuel mix is
bad.  Considering you mucked about with your fuel system, it would not
surprise me if the fuel mixture was off in some ranges.  Is this OBD II or
OBD I?

Monitor the O2 sensor outputs with a DVOM.

Gary Derian