Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 17:21:35 -0800
From: John Bolhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
Subject: <e39> ignition cylinder got loose on me

 I recall seeing at least 1 post from Brett A about the notorious
problems with e39 ignition cylinders, but I was unable to find in the
archives...
 Tonight I turned the key in my '98 528 and it rotated freely.  I did
some jiggling and made sure the steering wasn't resting against the
steering lock and tried again with success.  It worked fine again later
too.
 The question is, given that some little tab or nubbin is now probably
broken off in there, how long do I have before this thing just doesn't
work at all?
 Also, can I replace this item myself?