HI :)
Base needs to have some documentation to help devs understand what it's trying
to do.

With the other apps it's much easier to have an overview even without having
any documentation but Base is a lot more complex.  Also there needs to be some
discussion between devs and other people to decide what to use instead of java,
and the direction to take generally.  Apparently the default HqSql back-end is
fairly troublesome but there is a new project "MariaDb" that is a drop-in
replacement for MySql that might be much better as a back-end.  MariaDb is
basically almost the entire community that worked on MySql including some of
the original people plus a load of new people that joined since the project
broke free from Sun/Oracle.  Anyway it needs a small team of people to try out
different back-ends to see which are viable as back-ends and which might be
easiest to have as the default one.  Perhaps bringing their recommendation back
to steering-discuss to make an informed vote.

As i understand it the current infra-structure is leading to Base gently
crumbling away through neglect.  Experienced devs steer well away from Base.
New ones need to learn more understanding about coding or about Base or about
both.  Every time an individual joins and is keen to work on some aspect of
Base they realise it's a completely tangled mess and they would be the only
person working on it so they get discouraged and give-up.

Yes it would be great to have input from the entire devs list but
1.  They are not interested in Base
2.  The non-coders that want to do non-coding work on Base (eg Documentation,
perhaps marketing, perhaps design of aspects of the UI that only appear in
Base, the wizards and so on) would be unable to understand.

Regards from
Tom :)