Hi there,

On 29/11/2022 23:38, Franklin Weng wrote:
> Believe me or not.

        Let me try to provide a quick counter-balance in this thread.

It seems to me extraordinary to criticize Thorsten like this for doing his job - in line with the best practices for communications as adopted by the board[1] on this list.

We badly need our E-mail discussion to get more focused and respectful. Blunt finger pointing: "I don't trust >that person<" seems radically non-constructive to me. Surely better to work on the real issue - ideally one to one first (or bring a friend along if you're concerned about that), then in a larger group if that doesn't work out, before bringing it to everyone (ideally on tdf-internal).

I would like to read a lot less E-mail attacking the person not the ball. I'd also like to see a lot less public board posturing - it has reached a ridiculous level.

We have a board director claiming in public that other directors support his proposal, which then multiple directors point out that they in fact don't, before them saying again that they actually do etc. It seems like the Christmas pantomime season complete with comedy audience contradictions has come early =)

The huge volume of E-mail on these topics doesn't help anyone. I think it is safe to assume that wiser counsel is rather restrained when sending E-mail, and that many read this and think it better not to feed the flames - apologies if I do that here.

We elect a board to hammer out compromises - ideally these arrive well formed and in a way that commands support or acquiescence of the whole board. In cases where that is impossible then some split vote and ideally a principled objection E-mail, and closing the topic seems wise.

We don't elect a board to amplify division & to escalate even uncontroversial topics (such as hiring two staff members) into some apparent existential nightmare of posturing to try to 'win' at all costs. It is good to decide topics and move on.

I'd like also to try to remove some of the poison here with a personal take on Thorsten, with whom I've worked on & off for ~twenty years.

I don't like unqualified "I trust", or "I don't trust" people - partly because I don't trust myself in some situations[2]; it seems to me a polarizing loss of nuance. Also - I trust even my political opponents to be generally decent citizens. However my sphere of trust for Thorsten is abnormally large.

Thorsten is someone that TDF is extremely blessed to have in our community; he has contributed in an overwhelmingly positive way to LibreOffice and at significant scale. I don't always agree with him - and I compete with him in the marketplace (as well as partnering) - but his integrity is something I can rely on. His patience when dealing with controversy, his balance and desire to find a workable solution is legendary.

More than that - we are a statutory meritocracy - and Thorsten has contributed an incredible amount of do-ing to the project not just coding (and apparently cloning himself[3] =) - but innumerable small acts of kindness and nurturing behind the scenes. He repeatedly encourages me to think that: "everyone is really just trying to do what they think is best" when I loose faith in that. Oh - and did I mention his positive input on the ESC, serving from our founding on the Board, doing the jobs that no-one wanted to eg. as an example all the donation book-keeping for many years - which was done with great probity.

Did I mention his personal investment in allotropia - which contributes lots of LibreOffice code - this could go on and on but this E-mail is already an example of the over-long E-mails we have on the list and I just got started.

        Let me summarize it this way: Thorsten rocks.

If anyone plans to attack and/or exclude him from TDF - they better bring a large-ish team of people to try to replace the immense good he does here.

TDF needs good people to shepherd the board, and also this mailing list. It will perhaps be no surprise that I also have received constructive feedback on improving my tone on the list privately from Thorsten: that's his job - it's mine to take that to heart. Let me encourage others to listen - and act likewise.

Against that - if people believe they are being harassed - they should report that privately to the CoC committee who will investigate that sensitively without fear or favor - there is no tolerance for harassment no matter how senior and important the people involved.

        Regards,

                Michael.

[1] - https://www.mail-archive.com/board-discuss@documentfoundation.org/msg05644.html and I quote:

        - If we should find ourselves in a strong disagreement with
  another person, we make our responses to each other via private
  messages rather than continue to send them to the list or the
  group.  If we are debating a point on which the group might have
  some interest, we may summarize for them later. If we should
  find even the private interaction hard, we ask a trusted peer
  for help.

It seems to me CC'ing some other neutral party / peer if there is a concern also seems wise.

[2] - a small Christmas gift for my critics =)
[3] - https://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/credits/
--
michael.me...@collabora.com <><, GM Collabora Productivity
Hangout: mejme...@gmail.com, Skype: mmeeks