To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------
Marco Gruss wrote:
To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------
While we're on the subject of alternative C&Cs, a thought just
crossed my mind: Suppose a bot herder started packaging Tor with
his malware in order to host the C&C on a .onion web site/irc
server. Any idea what could be done to mitigate those?!

As long as the secret key to the onion ID isn't lost, any tor
node could be turned into the C&C without the "danger" of losing
its name like a DNS name.

Marco

Regardless if something is running on Tor you could filter
that part on a port level with your routers, firewalls, etc.
A scarier/deadlier combo would be covert channeling (TCP via
ICMP) with some type of false DNS server information running.
(http://www.phrack.org/issues.html?issue=51&id=6#article)

E.g.:

InfectedHost --> (TCP||UDP(tunneled in ICMP)) --> ControllingServer

Where the InfectedHost and ControllingServer had mechanisms
to keep ICMP packets under the radar. E.g.2 ControllingServer
receives say 1000 ICMP messages, recompiles the TCP||UDP info
buffers it and dishes it out on a "go as needed" basis. Would
be difficult to contain and discern from legitimate traffic
if done correctly.

While I don't really tinker with understanding botnets, I'd
like to think/pretend ;) I know enough about networking. I
can think of a lot worse mechanisms to go undetected, but
I'd rather not. Gadi, others who I've had the pleasure to
correspond to via lists and emails can freely email me on
a multicast threat theory lurking in the shadows... Certain
things I choose not to bring to public light anymore lest
I become a bigger pariah.

DNS server spoofing though, is a lot easier to mitigate
against and contain from a netops perspective... "Wait a
minute... I have a /22 and I know damn well I only have
4 DNS servers... Therefore everyone else gets blocked."