To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------
On 7/25/07, Craig Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------
As promised, I bought the book and finally received it (thanks for the
slow
turn around Amazon).

I have begun reading it, and although I am only starting the third chapter
am wholly unimpressed.

Before I discuss the text of the book, I am curious to know. Is it a print
problem or do many of the graphics in the book look overly blurry or
excessively jagged? Some of the pictures look like they were compressed to
monochrome bitmap of about 2k in size (see page 47).

My experience with botnets seem to differ in many ways from the text in
the
book:

The book begins by describing what SDBot, Agobot, GTBot, etc do. They
include
lists of ports and vulnerabilities that the given bot exploits, actions it
may perform etc. The book doesn't make the point strong enough that a lot
of
code (especially SDBot code) started off as simply a public offering and
evolved through many different trees by people with no organization. These
trees criss-crossed without any knowledge of many of the contributors. In
fact, as I recall SDBot (at least a couple of versions from sd) was
released
to the public without a single attack vector. It is my belief that this
version is responsible for the most variants due to it's availability.

The book seems to be making a point that bots are being used by organized
crime. I think this point has been pushed on my fronts of this issue by
many
people, however I remain doubtful. In my experience with farmers (or bot
herders as the book calls them) is that they're packet kiddies out to DoS
their moronic buddies or enemies. The botnet was just a natural evaluation
from Trinoo/TFN/Trinity/Kaiten or if they're even lamer then Backorifice,
etc. Though I do certainly accept that some lone individuals use botnets
for
monitary gain (avert scams), I wouldn't classify it as organized. Look at
the
numbers given in the book:
-4.5 Million active botnet computers
-A small botnet is 10,000 computers
That means that there are about 500 botnets active. The book states only a
handful of cases that involved organized crime, possibly 5 cases. That
means
that they've identified at least 0.01% of the 500 botnets are being run by
the big evil organized crime people. Not to say that proves them wrong,
but
it isn't enough evidence for me. I believe they are sensationalizing this
fact quite a bit.

The book paints a pretty diagram showing how people with their cam corders
run
from the movie theatre directly to their dorm and upload their bootlegs to
topsites which are actually botnets. This is a silly notion. A great deal
movies that are available on the internet today (and much software) are
released by organized (though not by for profit) piracy groups (the
'scene').
These groups do use topsites, but they are FTP servers running on
legitmate
hardware (a member of the group may be a sysadmin at MIT for example).
These
topsites and groups are not even remotely affiliated with botnets (or at
least weren't in 2002 which is when my experience dates to). The offenders
identified (from Drink or Die, Razor1911, etc) wouldn't be caught dead
touching a botnet, as it would do great damage to their reputation.
Furthermore, these elite groups have very little use for clickthrough
scams,
distributed storage, or dos attacks.

A bunch of these ftp servers being used are actually compromised servers.

There is one german release group that i have found that does this alot, i
don't remember their name, but they will compromise a server with a weak
MSSQL SA account and then install a ftp daemon and serve their files. They
target the sql servers i believe because they are typically decent servers
with decent upload and space.

That is just my 2 cents and what I have seen.

I feel like the authors are making a far too liberal attempt at connecting
the
dots on many issues. I am also slightly disappointed as it seemed much of
the
book will be focused on general intrusion detection techniques,
sandboxing,
reporting etc and less on practical cases, motivation, C&C methods,
encryption and more technical aspects of the bot itself.

I will report my final thoughts when I complete the book.

Craig

On Sunday 08 July 2007 21:53, Thomas Raef wrote:
> To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Gadi,
>
> It's easier for people to just buy the book. I bought it about a month
> ago and have read it a few time already. Nice work!

James Pleger
p: 623.298.7966
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]