http://news.com.com/2009-1088-984352.html?tag=fd_rndm#38

China raises the red tag

RFID tags aren't just for tracking consumer goods any more.
The Chinese Communist Party is experimenting with tagging and tracking
people. Delegates to the recent Communist Party Congress were required to
wear an RFID badge equipped with the tiny tag, which permitted their
movements around the conference to be constantly tracked and recorded.

RFID stands for radio frequency identification, and each tag has a unique
number associated with it. Some large retailers are experimenting with
the system to track inventory and cut down on shoplifting.

In a new application of the technology, Texas Instruments provided its
client with about 20,000 of the tags. "As attendees moved throughout the
various areas of the conference, their badges were electronically read by
one of 20 TI S6550 Long Range Readers with customized gate antennas,
strategically placed throughout the conference area," a company
newsletter says.

In addition to real-time monitoring of the delegates, the setup let
security guards perform identity checks by comparing a database photo
with the badge holder's face. "We expect our access-control business to
accelerate over the next couple of years as corporations and governmental
agencies raise the level of security for their people and their assets,"
said TI spokesman Bill Allen.

For some reason, China's leaders seem to be shying away from additional
publicity. "We'd love to do a full-blown press release, case study, etc.,
but the (Chinese) Communist Party will not allow it at this time," Allen
said.