--- Jon Gabriel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The point he's making is a valid one.  He didn't say
> we shouldn't have
> liberated Iraq in this thread.  When we removed the
> regime in power we were
> in charge of law enforcement until a native police
> force could be
> reestablished.  It is obvious that the museums were
> inadequately secured and
> they were our responsibility.  We definitely screwed
> up in allowing the
> museums to be looted.

If they had been looted, we would have screwed up,
maybe.  I don't know what constraints we were
operating under.  But they weren't looted.  _At most_
a miniscule proportion of the Museum's items were
taken, certainly by insiders, and almost certainly
before American soldiers ever arrived in Baghdad.
What could we possibly have done to stop that?

> You know, looting and even rioting could have been
> easily predicted when we
> liberated Iraq.  Quite honestly, I was surprised the
> changeover went so
> smoothly.
>
> Jon

Me too - well, not surprised, per se, but impressed
and pleased.  But the Administration's opponents have
seized on this damn Museum issue as a way of, first
attacking the war in general, and second, attacking
the reconstruction effort, when it is, in fact, going
much better than a fair observer would have expected.
So I'm not ashamed to take a special pleasure in
pointing out that the Museum thing _didn't happen_ -
it was a myth created by credulous people eager to
believe the worst of the United States and the Bush
Administration, and its revelation as a myth is
something that should further lessen their
credibility, if there was any left.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]